Official Website of the United States Marine Corps League of Folsom California
Home Officers Meetings Membership Forms Honor Guard Calendar Links Officer's Login Members Login



The DD Form 214 is a document that specifies a Marine's time spent on active duty.  A reservist will only be eligible to receive a DD Form 214 for time spent at recruit training and any other time they may have been mobilized for active duty during the course of their service.  If the constituent is requesting a copy of his/her DD Form 214, they may do so by writing directly to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records (USMC)
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132

Please have constituents specify which DD Form 214 they are requesting, for example: from – to dates, as there may be more than one on file.  The following certificates of discharge are available for the following time periods:

1950 to current - DD Form 214
1945-1949 - NAVMC 78PD
Prior to 1945 - Only a letter given to the Marine signifying service


All medical records corresponding to discharges that occurred prior to 1994 are archived with the constituent's Service Record Book at the National Personnel Records Center.  They may contact this agency to request their medical records by writing to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records (USMC)
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132

It is important to note that only one copy of medical records exists.  Medical records cannot be ordered through separate agencies for this reason.

All medical records regarding discharges that occurred after 1994 are located at the local Department of Veteran's Affairs (DVA).  Contact information for the DVA is located in the blue pages of the phone book.  If by chance the constituent is unable to locate this contact information, they can call the DVA's Congressional Liaison Service at (202) 225-2280 to obtain this information. Naval Records (BCNR)


The Board for Corrections of Naval Records (BCNR) acts for the Secretary of the Navy.  That Board will examine a constituent's service record and any evidence he/she submits and will make recommendations to the Secretary of the Navy concerning any corrective action deemed appropriate.  In order for a constituent to petition the Board, they must submit a DD Form 149 along with any evidence pertinent to their case.  This application should be mailed directly to:

Board for Corrections of Naval Records
Department of the Navy
Washington, DC 20370-5100.

That agency's telephone number is (703) 614-1316 (Note:  DD Form 149 is a *.pdf file; you must have Adobe Acrobat to download). If any questions regarding an alleged unjust discharge that has taken place within the past 15 years are received, these constituents should be referred to the Naval Discharge Review Board (NDRB).  The constituent should send his/her application (DD Form 293) directly to:

Naval Council of Personnel Boards (NDRB)
Navy Department, Room 309
720 Kennon Street, SE
Washington Navy Yard
Washington DC 20374-5023.

For future reference, that agency's telephone number is (202) 685-6600.






Application for Correction of Military or Naval Records

Used to apply for a correction of military records or a change in reenlistment.


Application for Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States

Used to apply for an upgrade of a discharge.


Request for Military Aerial Support

Used to request armed forces aerial demonstrations/support at public events.


Request for Armed Forces Participation in Public Events ( Non-Aviation )

Used to request the U.S. Band and/or Color Guard

Back to Top